Saturday, August 6, 2011

Language learning and gender

That quote from Miller in the last post, where he referred to the student of Japanese as 'he', got me wondering what the gender disparity is among students of Japanese.  Many more women than men study foreign languages at degree level in the UK—I think this table (PDF) says that about 18,000 women got a foreign language undergrad degree and only about 8,000 men.  [Edit: these are undergraduate awards of all types for 2008/9.]  But what of Japanese specifically?  A big black mark to both HESA and UCAS for having such awful Excel-dominated websites, and a special award to UCAS for making you download an executable in order to get a dataset (no thank you), and for having a rubbishy enquiry engine that only works in IE.  So the short answer is I still don't know.  Japanese has a geeky fanboyish reputation, so will that mean more men than you'd otherwise expect?  I'll report if I manage to find out.  (I was looking for undergraduate figures as I thought that would be the most useful proxy for 'serious' learners and was under the misapprehension that UCAS and HESA would have useful web interfaces; I've looked at the JLPT site but can't see any breakdown of results by gender there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment