Monday, November 19, 2012

Le Figaro

Bought a copy of Le Figaro yesterday and read about 75% of it with about 75% understanding, which isn't bad; didn't bother with a dictionary, just ploughed on.  I tend to feel daftly guilty when skipping bits I don't understand in a foreign-language text, as though I'm wasting a resource.  I have to try to remember that I'm never actually going to run out of foreign stuff to read!  The Internet exists now!

I linked the other day to that Helen DeWitt article on reading Proust in French; it's something I wouldn't mind trying if my French got good enough - I'd want to read it in English first, but it'd be interesting to reread it in the original, trying to cling on but using the English as a crib when necessary.  A long-term goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment