Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Another go at Teach Yourself Japanese by Dunn and Yanada

Am having another try at working my way at least partly through this one: currently up to Lesson 4.  I've launched myself at this book several times in the past, and have done the first few lessons about half-a-dozen times, but I always tend to get stranded somewhere around lessons 6–8.  I'm finding the exercises easier each time I try to work through the book, but perhaps by now I'm just remembering all the answers rather than working them out from first principles.  Doing the exercises is a chore but I find it less dull than doing Heisig; I ought to enjoy the Heisig method but I clearly don't, so I'm putting that on the back-burner for a while.  If I do manage to work my way through all or most of Dunn and Yanada I might have a go at Reading Japanese by Jorden and Chaplin.

Picked up what appears to be a Japanese cookery book for young people in a second-hand shop today.  I know damn-all about cookery (even less than I currently know about Japanese).

No comments:

Post a Comment