Tuesday, July 5, 2011

IMJ92: An Introduction to Modern Japanese by Bowring and Laurie (CUP, 1992)

Another book that I picked up cheap in the second-hand shop... this book is a bit unusual among Japanese textbooks in that it teaches both the spoken language and the written language, at the same time.  It looks good, and rigorous on the grammar side of things; perhaps I'll give it a go in a few months' time.  My inclination is to pick up initial knowledge of the spoken language via romanization, but since I have a good memory for the shape of words on the page I'm concerned that I might become so attached to romanized text I have difficulty in switching to kana and kanji.  Ability to read authentic Japanese script is the target and I don't want to clog up my memory with Latin letters if I can help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment